Sunday, October 31, 2010

Hallowe'en Hater




I never know what you are supposed to say on Hallowe'en. "Happy Hallowe'en" doesn't seem right. "Have a scary Hallowe'en" seems more apt. But, to be honest, I don't really care. I've never got into all the hullabaloo that surrounds the event, especially nowadays.

Without wishing to sound like a grumpy old man but then going on to do exactly that; I see the whole affair as an over hyped Americanism.

But now I have children old enough to trick or treat, I can't very well deny them the opportunity of going around other peoples houses to beg for food.

Still, the idea of demanding treats with menaces is troubling. The trick element is now, thankfully, an empty threat, although you do still hear the odd story of kids damaging property or posting unmentionables through the letter box when no treats are forthcoming. It comes to something when the same kind of harassment meted out to suspected paedophiles by local vigilantes is seen as appropriate for people who simply refuse to act as a free tuck shop once a year.

And walking round the neighbourhood asking for sweets from, mostly, complete strangers doesn't strike me as a sensible or particularly safe way for children to spend their time either. But as long as the children are accompanied by a responsible adult there shouldn't be much risk for them.

My biggest problem with Hallowe'en trick or treating is when you get a sulk* of older teenagers knocking at your door. What in their unwashed world do they expect to receive as a treat? Most households would be stocked up to supply lollipops and penny sweets but I can't imagine these would satisfy the average modern teenager. That's why I make sure I've got plenty of fags, PSPs, cider and aerosol cans (for graffiti and inhaling), just in case a sulk* or two turns up.

I feel better for this rant.

I'm almost 40 years old. Expect much more of this kind of thing.

* I assume "sulk" is the correct collective noun for a group of teenagers

No comments:

Post a Comment