Saturday, November 21, 2009

Twitter "#Don'tBuyThe Sun Campaign" - Labour Hypocrisy

I've never bought The Sun and never will for all sorts of reasons. I prefer my newspaper to have actual news in it for example.

Today a Twitter campaign with the hashtag #dontbuythesun is trending to mark the 40th anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster and the way The Sun subsequently reported the event, effectively blaming the fans for the deaths when a later official report showed the Police's crowd management was at fault.

Fair enough you might think, as I do. But what I find offensive is the way some Labour activists and even politicians are hijacking the hashtag campaign to have a go at The Sun simply because it recently switched allegiance from Labour to the Conservatives.

They really are pathetic and utterly hypocritical. You didn't hear a peep out of them when the paper supported them. If I was from Liverpool (and not a Labour supporter) I'd be offended by Labour perverting their perfectly understandable campaign to remind people what pain and anger gutter journalism can cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment